ORIENTATION GUIDE 2017

A breakdown of the top leaders at Syracuse University

Kiran Ramsey | Senior Design Editor

The top 10 leaders at SU make decisions regarding the university's finances, athletics and facilities, among other things.

UPDATED: Sept. 11, 2017 at 11:32 p.m.

Before classes for the fall semester start, brush up on who the top leaders at Syracuse University are.

To determine the university’s top leaders, the News Department and head editors of The Daily Orange voted on the top 10 most important figures at SU. Here are the results:

kent-syverud

1. Kent Syverud

Position: Chancellor and president

Start of role: January 2014

Salary: $916,610, according to SU’s 990 form for the fiscal year 2016

Description: Before becoming the 12th chancellor at SU, Syverud served as dean of the law school at Washington University in St. Louis. As SU’s chancellor, Syverud is the face of the university and has set forth initiatives about SU’s future, including the Campus Framework and Academic Strategic Plan — which are both part of his broader Fast Forward Syracuse initiative.

michele-wheatly

1. Michele Wheatly

Position: Vice chancellor and provost

Start of role: May 16, 2016

Salary: Undisclosed

Description: Wheatly started her role as vice chancellor and provost in May 2016, soon after the 2015-16 academic year had ended. In her role, Wheatly serves as SU’s chief academic officer, overseeing the academic side of SU. She previously served as special assistant to West Virginia University’s president Gordon Gee. Before that, she was WVU’s provost from January 2010 to June 2014.

Peter Sala Portrait

1. Pete Sala

Position: Vice president and chief facilities officer

Start of role: July 2015

Salary: $451,417, according to SU’s 990 form for the fiscal year 2016

Description: Sala, who has served as the managing director of the Carrier Dome since 2010, oversees all operations of SU athletic facilities. He also oversees Campus Planning, Design and Construction; Business and Facilities Maintenance Services; the Physical Plant; Housing and Food Services Maintenance; and Energy Systems & Sustainability Management.

Michele Wheatly Informal Portraits

1. Amir Rahnamay-Azar

Position: Senior vice president and chief financial officer

Start of role: Feb. 15, 2017

Salary: Undisclosed

Description: As CFO, Rahnamay-Azar will oversee SU’s finances and administrative functions, which includes responsibility over the treasury, the budget and the university’s investments, finance and comptroller, among other things. Before coming to SU, Rahnamay-Azar served as CFO at Carnegie Mellon University for almost three years.

rebecca-reed-kantrowitz

1. Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz

Position: Senior vice president and dean of student affairs

Start of role: July 2013

Salary: $246,095, according to SU’s 990 form for the fiscal year 2016

Description: Before assuming her position as senior vice president and dean of student affairs in 2013, Kantrowitz had worked in the Office of Student Affairs for five years. In her current role, Kantrowitz handles four different departments within student affairs: Health and Wellness; Discovery and Engagement; Inclusion, Community and Citizenship; and Central Services. In the 1980s, Kantrowitz first came to SU as residence hall director of Booth and Lawrinson halls.

mike-haynie

1. Mike Haynie

Position: Vice chancellor for strategic initiatives & innovation, executive director of the Institute for Veterans and Military Families

Start of role: July 2014

Salary: $490,233, according to SU’s 990 form for the fiscal year 2016

Description: As vice chancellor of veterans and military affairs, Haynie leads the university in its veteran and military-connected programs, partnerships and research. He also works to create new veteran and military initiatives at SU. Haynie served 14 years in the United States Air Force and joined the faculty at SU in 2006.

steve-barnes

1. Steven Barnes

Position: Chairman of the Board of Trustees

Start of role: May 2015

Salary: Undisclosed

Description: Barnes is the chairman of the Board of Trustees, which oversees the activities of the university and is mostly made up of SU alumni. Barnes is also a managing director with Bain Capital, a global alternative investment firm based in Boston. In addition, he serves as a member of the ownership group and board of directors of the Boston Celtics.

kevin-quinn

1. Kevin Quinn

Position: Senior vice president for public affairs

Start of role: 2009

Salary: $348,440, according to SU’s 990 form for the fiscal year 2016

Description: As the senior vice president for public affairs, Quinn serves as the spokesperson for the university. Prior to his role at SU, Quinn was the press secretary for former New York state Gov. George Pataki.

john-wildhack

1. John Wildhack

Position: Director of athletics

Start of role: July 2016

Salary: Undisclosed

Description: Wildhack, a former ESPN executive and a Class of 1980 SU alumnus, was chosen as Director of Athletics after former AD Mark Coyle left the position in May 2016. Wildhack, who is in charge of the athletics department at the university, called this his “dream job” upon receiving the appointment.

bea-gonzalez

1. Bea González

Position: Vice president for community engagement

Start of role: December 2016

Salary: Undisclosed

Description: González was appointed to this role after serving almost 10 years as dean of University College. She stepped down as dean to take on these new responsibilities. As vice president for community engagement, González is in charge of creating community partnerships and building on past initiatives.

For a breakdown of the deans of each school and college at SU, click here.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this post, Mike Haynie’s position was misstated. Haynie is Syracuse University’s vice chancellor for strategic initiatives & innovation and the executive director of the Institute for Veterans and Military Families. The Daily Orange regrets this error.