Downtown Syracuse fashion show returns with bold new styles

Courtesy of the Committee of Downtown Syracuse

The Committee of Downtown Syracuse will host their 8th annual Syracuse Style Fashion Show, which features local downtown retailers' latest work.

Fourteen local businesses and retailers will participate in the eighth annual Syracuse Style Fashion Show Thursday to display new styles and give New York Fashion Week a run for its money.

The show, which is coordinated by the Downtown Committee of Syracuse, has nearly doubled in size since its inception in 2009 as more retailers bring their products into central New York.

VIP tickets can be purchased for $50 on the committee’s website, but general admission is free and first-come, first-served. The show will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the heart of Armory Square at the 100 block of Walton Street.

The show has evolved from a budding partnership with Syracuse Fashion Week into a community-driven event, said Alice Maggiore, communications manager for the committee. The goal for the fashion show has been to show how downtown Syracuse is a serious retail destination that is often overshadowed by Destiny USA, she said.

“We want to remind people that this is a special kind of retail spot. We want to give it a New York City sort of seal and mimic the New York Fashion week, which is happening currently as well,” Maggiore said.

The show is an opportunity for the individual retailers and shops to make connections, gain exposure and establish a role in the community.

For many companies, it’s more than notoriety or exposure. Preparing, working with the models, coordinating the show and choosing items “is a lot of fun,” said Hilde Wegner, owner of The Eureka Company.

Any downtown business ready to participate can, whether they’ve been around for 40 years or 40 days. Oculus Tattoo Lounge, a new local business, will show off its first clothing line during the show.

“We want people to know that you can come for a T-shirt or jewelry, not just a tattoo,” said Sara Lavocat, manager of Oculus Tattoo Lounge.

The committee hopes to expand the show both in size and reputation and plans to start by making the runway longer than 8 feet, Maggiore said.

“Fashion isn’t the first thing you think of when you think of in Syracuse, and it’s nice to show that it’s here,” said Bronce Bersani, owner of Accents of Armory Square, a participating business in the show.