Ducks

Duck: Stacy Fernández

Casey Russell | Head Illustrator

Asst. News Editor | Fall 2016; Asst. Feature Editor | Spring 2017; Feature Editor | Fall 2017

In a meeting for new writers, I was uncomfortably aware of how much I stuck out. About 10 of us sat in a circle. I was the only person of color in the room. The same happened as I explored the possibilities of each section during my first open house.

I felt I didn’t belong here.

It’s been three years and I see some progress. Our diversity still needs work, but now I stick out less because of my features and more because of the dance moves I’m bound to break out during production.

Being a writer and holding leadership positions for The D.O. was never just about the job. It was about creating needed dialogue among journalists and expanding our coverage of marginalized communities. What drives me is the hope that, when a writer who looks like me comes through the red door, they’ll see the girl with the big curly hair, and they’ll know they belong here, too.

Mike: Thanks for teaching me how to properly put air in a tire.

News: My original stomping ground. Thank you for teaching me how to report.

Editor mom: I talked you up during my first interview more than I did myself. You guided me through reads with patience and love.

Justin Mattingly: You always told us sources aren’t sources — they’re people. Thank you for taking that same approach with your writers and making me feel like part of your team. I admire you more than you know.

Rachel Gilbert: Once you planted the Pulp seed, I was hooked.

Richard Jones: Thank you for making time to talk to and advise an eager journalist.

Clare Ramirez: My fellow sister in loudness, the room couldn’t help but sigh when we were together.

Tomer: Raindrop, drop top, Tomer’s greatness don’t stop stop. You’re the life of the party and the house. Dale mas gasolina, mi amigo.

Sam OG: News’ wunderkid, you inspired us all to be better. Remember to take care of yourself. Let’s split a box of cereal next fall.

Sports: *insert handshake here*

SF: To one of the most caring people around: I look forward to more thoughtful discussions. We’ll have that hangout sesh eventually.

Charlie: I cherish our one-on-ones in Mike’s office. Thanks for being someone I can count on for love advice. One day you’ll do our handshake in public.

Lucy: Talking to you in the car for two hours was an honor. Thanks for the weekly reminder that everything will be fine.

Ally: You always hype me up, and I can’t rolly rolly with a dab of ranch without you. I don’t know how we ever worked in the same house without being friends. Ily <3

Work husband: If Casey and I were literally on the floor laughing you were probably why.

Casey: I hated the word “dank” until I met you. Keep that childlike excitement alive, it’s contagious and refreshing.

Chris Libonati: I respect you so much as a journalist. You’re amazingly thorough, and as a person, you’re sweet as can be. Thank you for being a mentor and a friend. For always replying to questions, talking through story ideas and checking in.

Ali: “Hello, this is Stacy Fernández from The Daily Orange.” Thanks for being my friend before I knew it. That text was the best thing that ever happened to our friendship. You bring me ice even when I don’t ask, a hearty laugh when I need it most (please consider stand-up comedy) and are quick to lend an ear. You’re one of the most genuine people I’ve met and I love you for it.

Pulp Fall 2017: Thanks for putting a smile on my face on the daily, being team players, stepping up when needed and pushing the section forward. I hope I was able to make you all as happy as you made me.

Myelle: The embodiment of hutzpah, when you want something you make it happen. Case in point: your position next semester.

Rori: You’ve officially mastered events bar. I knew you were a gem when you told me you had free time in case a story needed to be picked up. Next time I ask if you’re free it’ll be for lunch, not a story.

Con Con: To your dismay, the nickname stuck. As the most quoted person on the board, you’re guaranteed to make us laugh on the daily. You’re such a joy to be around and are quick to say yes when a story needs to be picked up. That can-do attitude will get you far. For now you’ll have to settle for my utter appreciation and respect. I wish we had you for longer.

Lydia: The unexpected reigning mac queen. I didn’t need to push you to learn because you were already by my side asking questions. You’re a role model for those around you, always taking initiative and doing it with your lovable, spunky attitude. And yes, I’ll do my C reads now. Pulp is lucky to have you again.

Colleen: I understood maybe half of our first phone convo. You talk as quickly you make friends. I’m happy I was one of them. Now all I have to do is look at you or gesture and we both know what’s going on. Coneheads for life. *head tilt, Naruto run, flip hand in the air*

Torrens: Thanks for rejecting my Ask the Experts application and entrusting me with my first A1. Your insight — from the political climate to memes — is always spot-on. The world of law will be lucky to have you. Keep rocking those red bottoms and making money moves.

Alexa Díaz: A Xicana on the top of the masthead, wow. Thank you for being an inspiration to me and an example of what leading with kindness looks like. You may be our boss, but at the end of the day we know we can count on you like the cool older sister we wish we had. *sunflower emoji*

Satosh: You showed me what it means to be a team player. Your love of news inspires me, and I appreciate how you always check in on your friends. You’re the sweetest soul. Thanks for keeping me sane this summer.

Earth and Wind: I felt really lonely on campus until I found you two. Both sweet and sassy, I know I can count on my girls. Always looking to make somebody’s day better and showing genuine excitement for others, you two are among the kindest souls I know. Here’s to leaving parties early, skin care goals and “study” sessions. I can’t wait to strut like we mean it together again.

Haley Kim: I always ruin our Snap streaks. I’ll do better, I promise. Of all the bylines, one of my favorites was the one we shared. You make everything the greatest of adventures.

Taylor Watson: You talk to the South Campus deer, nature makes your face light up with joy and you’re the healthiest college student I know. Tay Tay, you’re one of a kind.  

Mami: Gracias por todos los sacrificios que haz hecho. Eres la persona con cual siempre puedo contar. Gracias por siempre apoyarme. Te amo.

POC reporters: We got this.