Editorial Board

Meet The Daily Orange’s spring 2019 editorial board

Email opinion@dailyorange.com to join the conversation.

At the beginning of the spring 2019 semester, Syracuse University students are entering a campus undergoing major change, as long-term university initiatives reshape the physical layout, atmosphere and culture at SU. The Daily Orange Editorial Board, throughout this change, remains dedicated to delivering diverse and informed opinions to the SU community.

The Daily Orange has served the greater SU community for 115 years. But The D.O. also shares its own voice through the editorial board. It’s a voice that strives to present unbiased coverage and share university community members’ perspectives.

The editorial board consists of the editor-in-chief, managing editor, news editor, feature editor, sports editor, presentation director, digital editor, photo editor, digital design director and video editor, as well as several members of the D.O.’s current and former staff who currently attend SU.

The editorial board is led by the editorial editor. The editorial editor, who manages The D.O.’s Opinion section, chooses discussion topics based on news value and relevance to the university community. When a viable topic arises, the editorial board meets for a roundtable discussion.

The editorial editor does not offer their own opinion, but condenses the primary points of the conversation into the editorial, which is published in the paper and on The D.O.’s website.

The D.O.’s financial independence from the university — achieved in 1991 — is essential to the editorial board. Because we have no fiscal ties to the university, we can freely criticize and commend the SU administration’s policies and programs. We can promote discussion to bridge the gap between students, administrators and community members.

To submit a topic of discussion for the editorial board, please email opinion@dailyorange.com. We also welcome letters to the editor to be published in The D.O.’s print edition and on dailyorange.com. Letters should be submitted to opinion@dailyorange.com.

The editorial board is our place to share The D.O.’s voice, and we want you to share yours.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members.