Women's Lacrosse

SU women’s lacrosse drops to No. 4 in Week 11 Inside Lacrosse Poll

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

Syracuse women's lacrosse fell two spots to No. 4 in the Inside Lacrosse Poll following an overtime loss to Boston College.

Syracuse women’s lacrosse (12-4, 8-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) has been ranked No. 4 in the Week 11 Inside Lacrosse Poll. The Orange fell two spots following an 11-10 road loss to Boston College Thursday.

Following its first loss since March 5, SU falls to its lowest ranking since the Week 7 poll. Boston College and Notre Dame jumped the Orange after winning their final regular season games.

In Chestnut Hill, Syracuse led 5-3 at halftime. Kate Mashewske was strong in the draw circle and defensively, BC was held to its lowest total at the half this season, with Delaney Sweitzer making eight saves.

The script flipped in the second half. Boston College began the half on a 3-0 run to take the lead and the teams went back and forth throughout the remainder of regulation. BC leading scorer Rachel Clark broke out for three goals in the fourth quarter including a game-tying one with less than 90 seconds to go. SU’s defense made a stop with seconds to play in regulation to force overtime. Then in the extra period, Natalie Smith missed a shot from point-blank range before Cassidy Weeks ended the game on the other end.

Despite the loss, Syracuse will be the No. 1 seed in the ACC Tournament in Charlotte, North Carolina, and match up with Louisville in the quarterfinals at 11 a.m. Wednesday.